top of page

Discussions

Public·106 members

Ama Umayangana
Ama Umayangana

Active And Passive Voice Rules In Urdu.pdf

Active and Passive Voice Rules in Urdu

In this article, we will learn about the definition, use, and rules of active and passive voice in Urdu. We will also see some examples of how to convert sentences from active voice to passive voice and vice versa.

Active And Passive Voice Rules In Urdu.pdf

What is Active and Passive Voice?

Active and passive voice are two ways of expressing the same action or event in a sentence. The difference between them is that in active voice, the subject performs the action, while in passive voice, the subject receives the action or is acted upon by someone or something else.

For example, consider the following sentences:

• Active: Ahmed reads a book. (Ahmed is the subject and he performs the action of reading)

• Passive: A book is read by Ahmed. (A book is the subject and it receives the action of being read by Ahmed)

In Urdu, active voice sentences are called معروف جملے (ma'roof jumlay) and passive voice sentences are called مجہول جملے (majhool jumlay).

When to Use Active and Passive Voice?

We use active voice when we want to emphasize who or what performs the action, or when the doer of the action is important, known, or relevant. Active voice sentences are usually shorter and easier to read than passive voice sentences.

We use passive voice when we want to emphasize who or what receives the action, or when the doer of the action is unknown, irrelevant, or obvious. Passive voice sentences are often used to report facts, events, or news.

Here are some situations where we prefer to use active or passive voice:

Active Voice

Passive Voice

To show who or what does the action

To show who or what receives the action

To highlight the importance or relevance of the doer

To hide or omit the identity of the doer

To make the sentence shorter and simpler

To make the sentence more formal or polite

To express personal opinions or feelings

To express facts or general statements

How to Change Active Voice into Passive Voice?

To change a sentence from active voice to passive voice, we need to follow these four steps:

• Swap the positions of the subject and the object.

• Add a form of "to be" verb according to the tense of the sentence.

• Use the third form (past participle) of the main verb.

• Add "by" before the doer of the action if it is mentioned.

Here are some examples of how to apply these steps:

• Active: Zaid buys a pen. (Zaid is the subject, a pen is the object)

• Passive: A pen is bought by Zaid. (A pen is now the subject, Zaid is now the object)

• Note: We added "is" as a form of "to be" verb according to the present tense. We used "bought" as the third form of "buy". We added "by" before Zaid.

• Active: The lifeguard saved a man. (The lifeguard is the subject, a man is the object)

• Passive: A man was saved by the lifeguard. (A man is now the subject, the lifeguard is now the object)

• Note: We added "was" as a form of "to be" verb according to the past tense. We used "saved" as the third form of "save". We added "by" before the lifeguard.

• Active: Decorators are painting my house. (Decorators are the subject, my house is the object)

• Passive: My house is being painted by decorators. (My house is now the subject, decorators are now the object)

• Note: We added "is being" as a form of "to be" verb according to the present continuous tense. We used "painted" as the third form of "paint". We added "by" before decorators.

How to Change Passive Voice into Active Voice?

To change a sentence from passive voice to active voice, we need to follow these four steps:

• Swap the positions of the subject and the object.

• Remove the form of "to be" verb and change the tense of the sentence accordingly.

• Use the base form or the past tense form of the main verb depending on the tense of the sentence.

• Remove "by" and the doer of the action if it is mentioned.

Here are some examples of how to apply these steps:

• Passive: Chocolate is loved by everyone. (Chocolate is the subject, everyone is the object)

• Active: Everyone loves chocolate. (Everyone is now the subject, chocolate is now the object)

• Note: We removed "is" and changed the tense of the sentence to present simple. We used "loves" as the base form of "love". We removed "by" and everyone.

• Passive: A man was saved by the lifeguard. (A man is the subject, the lifeguard is the object)

• Active: The lifeguard saved a man. (The lifeguard is now the subject, a man is now the object)

• Note: We removed "was" and changed the tense of the sentence to past simple. We used "saved" as the past tense form of "save". We removed "by" and the lifeguard.

• Passive: My house is being painted by decorators. (My house is the subject, decorators are the object)

• Active: Decorators are painting my house. (Decorators are now the subject, my house is now the object)

• Note: We removed "is being" and changed the tense of the sentence to present continuous. We used "painting" as the base form of "paint" with -ing. We removed "by" and decorators.

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

• Instagram
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter

©2022 by JASMEET S ANAND. 

bottom of page